Lent 1997: Preparing for the Not Yet
A Christian Community
In the Tradition of the Church of the Saviour
Preparing for the Not Yet
The community of disciples around Jesus had the irreducible conviction that:
- God makes homecoming in the midst of exile;
- God makes creation in the midst of chaos;
- God makes resurrection in the face of crucifixion..
Interpretation and Obedience.,
Walter Brueggemann, g 318.
CALL TO WORSHIP
- How clearly the sky reveals God’s glory!
How plainly it shows what God has done!
Day carries the news to day;
night brings the message to night.
- Without a word, without a sound,
without a voice being heard,
their message fills the world,
their news reaches its rim.
- May the words of our mouths
and the meditations of our hearts
be acceptable to you,
O God, our rock and our redeemer.
WORD FOR THE CHILDREN
- We are a community that believes
our faith has a future.
- Voice 1:
- The future of our faith
Is new when we fully grieve
Because the old is lost and gone.
- Voice 2:
- A future grounded in God’s hope
cannot be filled with deception or cover-up,
pretense or denial, numbness or old habits.
- The future is given to us by God,
known in Jesus Christ, crucified and risen.
- Ours is a society in which hopelessness
is prevalent and powerful;
muteness and complacency are enemies of hope.
- Voice 1:
- Too often we are part of the mute majority,
who choose to conform rather than to risk.
- We Americans are among the affluent of the world,
too easily satisfied with what is,
unwilling to look for the not yet.
- Voice 2:
- We assume we have the answers
and no longer hunger for God’s true gifts.
- God of hope, our trust in you is weak.
INDIVIDUAL PRAYERS OF CONFESSION
Power for life is given in seasons of vulnerability.
The good news in Christ is this:
we are forgiven and freed for a hopeful future. Amen.
PRAYERS OF THE COMMUNITY
The first Sunday of each month we switch to a Communion Liturgy here.
Go forth into the danger of the Not Yet,
knowing that we are part of the faithful people of God.
Call to Worship: Psalm 19
Other prayers and litany: After Brueggemann, Hope Within History