Epiphany 1997: The Appearance of God
A Christian Community
In the Tradition of the Church of the Saviour
The Appearance of God
the . the . square, indigo, iridescent precisely sized so edges meld unbetrayed. yet its essence fully felt square, indigo, iridescent hidden mist square, blue, sparkling edged yet there square, indigo, iridescent the word.
Hollis Vail, January 1981.
CALL TO WORSHIP
- Arise, shine, for our light has come,
and the glory of God has risen upon us.
- Lift up your eyes round about, and see;
the people of God all gather together,
they come to rejoice;
our sons shall come from far away,
and our daughters shall be carried
in our arms.
- Then God shall see and be radiant,
and our hearts shall thrill and rejoice!
After Isaiah 60:1-6
WORD FOR THE CHILDREN
LITANY OF EPIPHANY
- The word becomes flesh, and dwells among us.
- Voice 1:
- Look! God is in our midst —
in the truth shared by little children.
See, God is alive in the challenge of the oppressed.
- Voice 2:
- Before our eyes,
God transforms the bored and satisfied.
Look for God in the swirling tension
between valued traditions and emerging visions.
- Come! See God incarnate.
Share the Good News with boldness and delight.
- The Light comes into the world:
- Our eyes, long used to darkness,
Close tight against the bright light.
We turn away and will not see.
- The Light comes to reveal the truth.
- But we are lost in logic,
and miss the reflections of God’s appearance.
We turn away, and will not see.
- Forgive us, Light of Life,
when we turn away,
and will not see you in the world around us.
Individual Prayers Of Confession
- You are forgiven,
for the Light has come,
and the Glory of God surrounds us. Amen.
Prayers Of The Community
The first Sunday of each month we switch to a Communion Liturgy here.
- The Light has splintered our darkness.
God appears, asking us to dance.
Let us go forth to answer with our whole lives.