January 3, 2021
Present: Marjory Bankson (recorder), Peter Bankson, Ken Burton, Cynthia Dahlin, Joan Dodge, Michele Frome, Elizabeth Gelfeld, Judy Lantz, David Lloyd, Sandra Miller (meditation), John Morris, Trish Nemore, Brenda Seat, Keith Seat, Margreta Silverstone, Deborah Sokolove (moderator), Jacqie Wallen, Glen Yakushiji.
Absent: Vincent Shepherd
Guest: Katie Fisher
Meditation: Sandra shared a reading.
Housekeeping: Stewards will next meet via zoom Sunday, Feb 7, 5-7pm.
Moderator – Ken
Recorder — Margreta
Meditation leader — Joan
- John Morris shared his spiritual autobiography to become a Steward, followed by words of welcome by various Stewards.
- Revised Guide to Mission Groups: Peter
It’s been ten years since the last revision. This draft was prompted by an intensive look at our website and the need for new mission group descriptions. Those have been provided by all groups except MSG, which will supply a new description shortly.
- David asked for more description of why mission groups are necessary, how can they be accountable to God for ongoing spiritual formation, and more about our roots in Church of the Saviour.
- Deborah suggested that could be accomplished with a position paper to be posted on the web so we could go ahead and approve this 10th edition as presented. Dave agreed. David & Peter will create that paper.
- The “Revised Guide…” was then approved unanimously.
[NOTE: Since the meeting, Dave and Peter have agreed on language to be inserted in the Revised Guide, so there will be no position paper after all.]
- Report on Stalking the Spirit Class: Marjory & Brenda.Click here for a summary of the Stalking the Spirit Class
Marjory noted active participation by 18 class members and named her primary “takeaways:”
- Class affirmed our current structures (SCG, mission groups, Stewards and SLT) and wants regular updates to understand our shared leadership model;
- How can we beef-up spiritual companionship beyond mission groups?
- Are there ways to add short-term members to the SLT to share the load?
Brenda then shared her takeaways:
- We should continue with the servant leadership model that permeates our community life;
- We need creative ways to think about the SLT model;
- Have more data on what is involved, what is wanted and what people long for in terms of leadership in Seekers.
Brenda concluded with a charge to the SLT Working Group: to articulate a call for additional servant leadership for Seekers. Current members are Margreta (chair), Michele, Sandra and Elizabeth. They will seek other members who are not Stewards in order to form a proposal as we move into the future.
- Pastoral concerns – no notes.
- 2 Stewards share: Dave and Margreta.
- Meeting ended with Soul talk.
Submitted by Marjory Bankson
January 5, 2021