May 3, 2020
Present: Marjory Bankson (recorder), Peter Bankson, Ken Burton, Cynthia Dahlin, Joan Dodge, Michele Frome, Elizabeth Gelfeld, Judy Lantz, David Lloyd, Sandra Miller (meditation), Trish Nemore, Brenda Seat, Keith Seat, Vincent Shepherd, Margreta Silverstone, Deborah Sokolove (moderator), Jacqie Wallen, Glen Yakushiji.
Guests: Sharon Lloyd
Meditation: Sandra shared an excerpt from the essay “Balancing Grief and Joy in the Time of Uncertainty” by Kate Werning.
Housekeeping: Stewards will next meet via zoom Sunday, June 7, 5:30-7:30pm.
Moderator – Joan
Recorder – Judy
Meditation leader – Dave
- Bokamoso Update: Trish
- Trish shared an email from Connie Sullivan, describing the situation at The Centre in Winterveld, which has been closed due to covid-19 and recently suffered damage from a wind storm. There were no injuries.
- The Bokamoso Foundation Board invites a member of Seekers to join their Board.
Discussion followed. Sharon Lloyd declined the invitation, saying it was all she could do to handle the site visits for the Career Workshop at Seekers. Nobody else felt called to this right now. Brenda suggested we respond by “taking a pause” in the relationship, to see what develops post-covid. Discussion of a financial gift was also postponed.
- FOG Report on Giving in the Coronavirus Era: Marjory (January-April budget summary)
As requested, giving has increased during this period – in 33% of the year, contributions are at 48% of the budget amount. Total expenses, including external giving, come to 37% of the budget, for a net income of $29,607. Marjory thanked the Stewards for stepping into this challenge!
Correction noted: 49% of the Holy Spirit Fund has been expended thus far, and we expect more will be needed.
- Children’s Team : Brenda
Since we started to worship via zoom, there has been no children’s word or Sunday School. The Team had already decided to suspend the high school class because attendance was so spotty. Now that we realize this “social distancing” may go on for some time, we may develop some activities for the Middlers and younger children which could then be shown during Circle Time.
- Judy is checking the Whole People of God curriculum for ideas
- Pastoral concerns – no notes.
- 2 Stewards share: Joan and Deborah
- Meeting ended with Soul talk.
Submitted by Marjory Bankson
May 4, 2020