September 1, 2019
Present: Marjory Bankson (recorder), Peter Bankson, Ken Burton, Cynthia Dahlin, Joan Dodge (devotional), Michele Frome, Elizabeth Gelfeld, Judy Lantz, David Lloyd, Sandra Miller (angel), Trish Nemore, Brenda Seat, Keith Seat, Vincent Shepherd, Margreta Silverstone, Deborah Sokolove (moderator), Glen Yakushiji (angel), Jacqie Wallen.
Guests: Doug Dodge, Teresa & Will Ramsey.
Devotional: framed with silence, Joan read “Summer Wonder” by Sonya Dyer.
Moderator: Joan Worship: Dave
Recorder: Trish Angels: Jacqie & Judy
1) Care Packs: Will
In his summary report (attached), Will noted the number of care packs distributed as follows: 2016 (123); 2017 (130); 2018 (57); 2019 (55) as of Sept 1. He sends out an email when supplies are low and people respond. In light of Kenny’s recent health issues, Will was encouraged to
- invite new members for the team, including announcements during Circle Time to include newcomers.
- It was also suggested to include body-wipes rather than towels since access to water can be difficult.
2) School for Christian Growth: Jacqie
Planned curriculum for the Tuesday night school listed as follows:
Sept 10-Oct 22 Teacher Oct 29-Dec 3 Teacher
Who Picked That Reading? Celeb Circle Encountering Jesus Dave
Your Life Story Jacqie Rethinking Call Marjory
Feb 4-Mar 10 Teacher Mar 17-Ap 21 Teacher
Hebrew Scrip Dave & Deborah Christian Teachings Cynthia
Universal Christ Kolya & Glen Clarke ? Servant Leadership Brenda
In addition, a Death Café is planned for Sat, Oct 26 and there will be other short offerings in January and May of 2020.
- Dave urged people to invite newcomers to attend the SCG as a way to engage the culture of Seekers.
3) October 6 Takoma Park Street Fair: Doug
The purpose is simply to make ourselves visible as part of this community. No location has yet been assigned. Doug is looking for volunteers to set up the booth at 8am and others to be present in shifts during the day. We will offer
- Publicity for Carroll Café and other events at Seekers;
- Water, since the city doesn’t provide water stations anymore;
- Kids table, with a chance to engage parents.
4) Sunday School: Brenda
The Sunday School Team (SST) is Brenda, Judy and Dave.
Thanks to OMG, we can expect 6 kids in the nursery, so need 2 people/week.(volunteers needed)
- Elizabeth Gelfeld has offered to do “Godly Play” with Zanna once a month.
Plans for the 4 “Midlers” (2 Kraybills, Noah Wan & Arnold Dongo) will focus on immigration in Oct and Thanksgiving baskets/care packs in Nov.
- Judy noted good lectionary-based curriculum, “The Whole People of God,” has been purchased and is available online for the teachers.
- Judy also mentioned behavioral expectations and “tight ship” for this group.
Older Teens will be led by Dave & Brenda
- September – inclusive language (why it matters)
- Oct – Eyes to See mission group will provide leadership for the month on immigration
- Nov – Thanksgiving, giving and care packs
- Dec – Was Mary a virgin? What about angels? … and encouraging them toward worship.
- Other issues: gender identity; water; kindness to animals.
5) Preparedness: Dave
After discussion by several mission groups, Dave introduced this topic for future meetings:
- Medical emergencies
- Natural disasters
- Disruptions during worship
His handout with details is attached. 2019_09_01 Stewards Preparedness
Sandra suggested a “red binder” in every room with tabs for these four areas. Stewards agreed to put Seekers’ preparedness on future agendas for discussion.
Pastoral concerns – no notes.
Two Stewards to share: Michele and Vince
Meeting ended with Soul talk.
Submitted by Marjory Bankson
September 3, 2019