February 11, 2018
Present: Marjory Bankson, Peter Bankson (recorder), Kevin Barwick, Ken Burton, Joan Dodge, Michele Frome, Judy Lantz, Dave Lloyd (angel), Sandra Miller, Trish Nemore (angel), Brenda Seat, Keith Seat, , Margreta Silverstone (worship), Deborah Sokolove (moderator), Jacqie Wallen, Glen Yakushiji
Absent: Cynthia Dahlin, Vincent Shepherd
Visitors: Linda Nunes Schrag, Bill Drehman, Pat Conover
Worship was offered by Margreta Silverstone with a reading of “Cleaving” by Jan Richardson.
Housekeeping: Stewards will next meet on Sunday, March 4, 5:30pm at the church.
Moderator: Dave Worship: Sandra
Recorder: Marjory Angels: Judy & Margreta
Report on Othandweni: Linda Nunes-Schrag &Bill Drehmann
Linda and Bill reported that the board and a new consultant at Othandweni are making slow progress toward improved operations and financial stability: “Our continued persistence through call, and equipping the Center with appropriate tools, has resulted in a forward-looking picture, heretofore inexperienced in the history of this organization.” Othandweni will need ongoing support, technical and financial, to continue on this positive path. (Report attached)
End of Year report from FOG: Marjory Bankson
Marjory provided a report from the Financial Oversight Group (FOG) on the financial status of Seekers Church at the end of 2017. (Updated report attached.) Total receipts exceeded expenses by $11,605.
Seekers policy is to use or donate any year-end surplus rather than add it to reserves or carry it forward into the next year. Two options were raised:
- Donate surplus funds to area food banks or other ministries; and
- Use some to replace worn out chairs in the Meditation Room.
After conversation among Stewards, Stewards affirmed these options. Living Water Mission Group (caretaker of the meditation room) will meet with other Stewards to select and acquire new chairs, then at the March meeting FOG will bring to Stewards a proposal for distribution of the remainder.
Report from Ecumenical Council: Peter Bankson
Peter reported on the annual meeting, held at the Festival Center on January 21, 2018. (Minutes are attached.) Highlights include:
- Kayla’s death 6 Jan
- Memorial at Wellspring on March 24th
- Transition underway
- Late Lasso is treasurer of CoS
- Kim Montrol handling book orders
- Mike Little coordinating visitors to CoS
- The council 2018 financial support request from member congregations:
- Larger communities $3K;
- Smaller communities $1K
- New CoS website
- Marjory is forming website support team
- Ted Smith (Festival Church) & Peter as support
- Mike Hickox (Maintains Gordon’s sermon archive in Lynchburg) rebuilding basic CoS website
- Mathias Martin in conversation about serving as the CoS webmaster
- Purpose: to support calls of member churches and articulate the heritage of inward/outward/together.
- Marjory is forming website support team
Building Use and issues: Time and Space mission group (Peter Bankson)
Peter distributed a summary of building use by outside groups (attached). Highlights include:
- Maintenance seems on track;
- Outside events up over 850 in 2017;
- In 2017 ten other faith communities used our space. Small, emerging churches come & go.
- T&S is working on coordinating parking with the hostel next door.
Report from Aging Together class and next steps: Trish Nemore
Trish distributed three handouts summarizing the class on aging held on two Saturdays in January. There were 27 participants and six others expressed interest but could not attend:
- “What We Want from Seekers: Reporting Back from Small Groups” (attached);
- “Participants in Aging Together Class;” and
- “Pastoring/Spirit Challenges of facing loss of regular life activities.”
There was a lively conversation about housing options and exploring the services provided by different age-in-place communities. Jacqie agreed to serve as a point person to convene a meeting f those from the Seekers community who are interested in participating in this ongoing conversation.
- Brenda and Kevin shared their reflections on the past year.
- All Stewards were invited to share in confidence during Soul Talk.
Closing: The meeting closed with prayer at 8:30 PM
Submitted by Peter Bankson, February 15, 2018
- Othandweni Report to Seekers Stewards
- Seekers Year-End FOG Report
- Time & Space Mission Group Report (2017)
- Aging Together Class Report: “What We Want from Seekers: Reporting Back from Small Groups”